How Can You Benefit from A Dental Hygienist Appointment?
The first thing you’re probably wondering is, what’s a dental hygienist? When visiting the dental practice for an appointment, you expect to visit a dentist and you’re usually told that your appointment will be accompanied by a dentist, not a hygienist.
Well, let’s clarify the confusion. A dental hygienist plays a vital role in looking after the appearance of your teeth. This is just like a dentist would. However, there are subtle differences to be aware of. A hygienist’s responsibility is to perform a check-up and clean procedure for your teeth to ensure they are clean and healthy as possible. A dentist may also perform this procedure but have additional responsibilities in fixing your teeth in case of any cosmetic issues occurring. The common goal for a dentist and a hygienist is identical. They work hand-in-hand to ensure that your teeth are as clean and healthy as possible.
Just like visiting a dentist, there are additional benefits from a hygienist appointment that you should be aware of. Here are five key reasons to benefit from:
The Five Key Reasons
- Improve Your Smile and Confidence – This is more of an objective for a hygienist as well as a benefit. The hygienist will perform a scale and deep-clean procedure to examine your teeth for tooth decay, plaque, and tartar. Through this procedure, your teeth will be polished to remove any stains formed so your smile lasts for longer. Be prepared to smile with confidence.
- Maintain Healthy Gums – Gum disease is common amongst many patients and at times could prove fatal. A benefit of healthy gums is in case you suffer an accident which affects your teeth in future, your gums will be strong enough for any further treatments, such as crown fittings, fillings or implants.
- Avoid Frequent Dental Visits – When visiting the hygienist, oral hygiene tips will be recommended to ensure that you look after your teeth at home. This typically includes brushing and flossing twice a day, keeping your teeth away from sugars and limiting consumption of alcohol or smoking products. If you look after your teeth, it’s less likely you’ll need to visit the dentist. Even if you do, be prepared for a swift conclusion to your appointment as you should expect your hygienist to be very happy with the state of your teeth. Do not underestimate the importance of dental flossing. Click here to find out more.
- Regular Oral Cancer Screening – A hygienist will also be able to conduct an oral cancer screening to capture any signs of early disease. Oral cancer is more common if you consume tobacco products, and regular visits to the hygienist will become essential.
- No More Bad Breath – Being conscious of your own breath is natural and even if you are concerned, there is nothing that can be done about it. A hygienist will provide tips to avoid bad breath such as using mouthwash at home. A deep-clean at your appointment will help avoid the problem.
Looking after your teeth cannot be emphasized. Not only do you benefit from positive oral health, but a healthy smile improves your overall well-being. It delivers confidence, self-esteem, and opens up future opportunities. Many people underestimate the value of a healthy, white smile. It also limits the number of times you need to visit a dental practice if your teeth are regularly healthy.
If you’re concerned about the state of your teeth that’s preventing you from smiling, Ashfield Family Dental is on hand to transform your life. Contact us now for a check-up appointment!